Tuesday, April 5, 2022

A Trip to Bartlesville to See Nancy

I slept well last night but was up a little earlier then usual but then I went to bed earlier then usual too. It's just now 5:07AM and I have just finished my breakfast bar and are starting on my oatmeal. I have got myself ready for the trip to Bartlesville.

Jess, Nancy's friend, who used to check on her now and then came by yesterday evening  to tell me that Dale is showing Nancy's house. I will not tell her because that would just upset her. She really wants to go back home but that isn't going to happen. She simply can't live by herself anymore. With her memory problem it would be way too dangerous. She wouldn't remember to eat and she wouldn't remember to take her meds. And if she fell down the stairs, no one would be able to get to her since she always locked the front and back doors and also the storm doors.

I promised her I would bring her to Caney today to see what all the new businesses were that are going in around town..especially the Blackledge building. She also wants to go to the bank and get some money and perhaps a new debit card like the one Dale took from her. She feels completely helpless without any cash and a debit card and her checkbook. Dale has those. Dale pays her utilities out of her account. She won't have anywhere to use those things but it will keep her from feeling so helpless. 

It's 5:25AM now. I will go turn on the TV and see what the weather is forecast to be today. In a little while I will also check on the cats.

So, more later... 

The weather today is supposed to be 75 degrees and cloudy. 

So far...no cats. 

Around 6:30AM Blondie showed up for breakfast and ate awhile and left when he was full. Immediately, after he left Scruff showed up and ate too.When she was finally full, I took the food into the garage and covered it.

It's 6:45AM now and I will watch  the news when it comes on at 7:00 AM. It's 8:10AM right now. I watched all the CBS news I could stand.  

I left for Nancy's at 9:30AM and got there about 10:00AM. I  let her choose the house shoes she wanted and then waited for her to dress so we could go on the Caney. We went to her house when we got there but it was locked up..As I expected it to be. She looked for the hidden key to her back door but it had been found (probably by Dale) and the key she had would not work. He may have changed the lock....who knows. I did not tell her Dale had been showing her house. I knew that would upset her. 

From there we went downtown and looked at the Blackledge building.They still were not finished with the unfinished part. I bought us a Dr. Pepper and looked over their progress on the building.  Then we drove around town and enjoyed the lovely sunny weather. At noon we went out to Eggbert's and ate lunch. She say several people she knew and visited with them as they came and greeted her. That was nice. I learned from Larry, the man that had done the work for Nancy when she had apartments, that Ila Gregg, a woman I knew from the dental office, had died of ALS..a terrible progressive disease.It's a nervous system disease that weakens muscles and impacts physical function.In this disease, nerve cells break down, which reduces functionality in the muscles they supply. The cause is unknown and.the main symptom is muscle weakness. 

Medication and therapy can slow ALS and reduce discomfort, but there's no cure.

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant scientist,  had this terrible disease for years and died of it a couple of years ago.

From there, I took her back to Bartlesville to assisted living there. We had a very good visit..even though she didn't get to see the inside of her house.

I told her I would see her next Tuesday. Then I went by Walmart there and bought gas. It was $3.47 a gallon . 

Then I came back home. 

While it was still pretty warm, I cleaned up the back flowerbed. Then I got some of the leaves out of the front hedge. I will work on that when it is warmer.

As soon as the program I watching on the computer is over, I will take my bath  Then I plan to go to bed at 9:00PM.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

Nancy enjoyed her outing I am sure.