Sunday, November 7, 2021

Sunday and Church

 I didn't realize daylight savings time ended today and I need to take my watch to the jeweler to have it set back an hour. I am going over to Coffeyville tomorrow for Charlotte's services and will drop it off then. I will be going back over for my eye appointment on Tuesday so perhaps I can pick it up then...or  Wednesday when I get my hair done. It will be a busy week.

I tried to reset the microwave clock this morning but it wouldn't let me do that. I followed the directions but it just wouldn't reset. Luckily I have the stove time reset.

I am going over to Nancy's at 9:00AM this morning to try to convince her to go into assisted living. She really can't take care of herself anymore. Her house hasn't been vacuumed in months...probably years. She hasn't been out of her night clothes in weeks and she hasn't done any laundry in weeks...probably months. She hasn't changed her bed and washed her sheets either. I have asked her repeatedly not to lock the storm door and yet she still does. If anything happened to her and the EMTs need to get in to her, they would have to break a window to get in. She really does need to be in assisted living. Joanne Gordon, another Caney woman, is there in assisted living so she would know her. 

The visiting angels were supposed to help with her housework but none of them did anything Gina had down for them to do. They just watched her TV and when she was tired of them doing that, she just let them leave...early. She was paying them $200 a day to do nothing but getting her some lunch and seeing to her pills.

I will be gone 5 days to Tennessee for Thanksgiving and will have to get Sandy to come take care of her meds morning and evening and see that she eats something first. Then Sandy will be gone two months when she goes to see her mother this winter. So, it's time. Convincing her will be another challenge.

Dale and Gina haven't been back since she refused to go to assisted living two months ago. They have another life too.

So, more later...

I went over and explained to her how her sleeping all day and all night, seldom  getting dressed, missing her hair appointments and not even combing her hair was not normal at all. She agreed .I told her about Joanne Gordon being there too and she was from Caney and she knew Joanne. I told her Leslie had told me that if anything unforeseen happened to her, I would blame myself. I denied that but Leslie said she knew me better.

Anyhow I told her all that and she promised to think about it and I said I would see her this evening to give her her meds and I wanted her to give it some serious consideration but I would not press her about it for a few days..perhaps a week. But  if she fell down her stairs like she fell down those in the porch when she busted her lip, she could do some serious damage to herself...perhaps break a hip or worse.

I did the the bulletins ready to send out in the morning. 

I will go over there about 6:00 PM and give her something to eat and give her her meds.

I just had a text from Dale, her cousin, and he is going over there in the morning to try to convince her to do that again.

I was up very early this morning since my watch was not reset for the end of daylight saving time so I will be ready for sleep fairly early...no later then 9:00PM

2 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am stunned that the visiting angels didn't do any house care at all when they were there, is that supposed to be part of the type of work they do. Sitting watching TV just doesn't make sense. Seems like they could have vacuumed or did dishes, or washed a load of clothes each day they were there. It is especially unsafe that she locks her storm door, too. It is good that there is someone she knows at the assisted living.I hope she will agree to go there.

DrumMajor said...

You've been a very good and devoted friend. You are probably the best person to convince her to head to assisted living. Let her know that you can still visit her when she lives there. It will be more fun, since you can call ahead and have lunch with her in the dining area! (You might have to pay for your's.) This is a great time for assisted centers since lots of musicians and folks come to present programs for the holidays.
As a hospice nurse, I visited my patients in several facilities. I walked into one when they had music on the "boom box" in the lobby for folks. I really like the tune since it reminded me of my college days. Oops, then I realized, "You like the music they're playing in this senior center. Jeepers, I'm getting oldish!" \
Maybe a planned, arranged visit to the center with you, especially during a meal or program, will help encourage her to move there. Linda in Kansas too.